Sarah Holloway is the mastermind behind Melbourne-based company Matcha Maiden and the creator of a myriad of delicious and highly-nutritious recipes. Today Sarah shares with us one of her favorite breakfast recipes for a nutrient-dense start to the day.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Matcha Maiden Organic Matcha Powder
- ½ teaspoon of spirulina
- 1 cup of almond milk (or your choice of milk)
- 1 banana (sliced lengthways; mash 1 half to put in the porridge and caramelize the other half)
- Ground cinnamon
- Rice malt syrup
- Caramelized banana
- Almond butter
- Rice malt syrup/honey
Method – Porridge:
- Place the oats, matcha, spirulina together in a saucepan and combine
- Add the milk and mashed banana and bring to the boil
- Let simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the oats are cooked or to desired consistency
- Add caramelized banana and other toppings!
Method – Easy Caramelized Banana:
- Place the banana on a non-stick fry pan on medium heat
- Drizzle rice malt syrup and sprinkle cinnamon on the banana
- Flip the banana when it browns on the bottom
- Take off heat when both sides are browned
Sarah and her partner started a creative side project in late 2014 capitalising on a gap they discovered in the health food market for matcha green tea powder. Three years on, this vibrant green superfood is one of the world’s premier health food trends and Matcha Maiden is leading the way with a growing community of over 1500 stockists including Anthropologie across the USA, Australian and US warehouses, and a very bright (green) future. Sarah has now hung up the suits and heels to step into the business full time. In 2016, the matcha mission developed into a physical venue and cutting edge cafe, Matcha Mylkbar, which is taking the food world by storm. Sarah now splits her time between the two businesses and is thoroughly enjoying life as a full time funtrepreneur.