We all want fresh, glowing skin don’t we? Exfoliation is one of the key things we can do for our skin to keep it healthy, youthful and glowing. So if you’re wondering where do I start, keep reading!
WHAT IS EXFOLIATION?
Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. The aim is to shed the dead skin cells on your face and body, that are making your skin lack-lustre, dry and dull.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF EXFOLIATING?
As we age the rate of cell renewal slows, so exfoliation becomes increasingly important. Regular exfoliation helps to keep skin looking fresh, radiant and smooth. It’s not only important to exfoliate your face, but your body as well.
- Even Skin Tone & Texture – shedding away dead skin cells can help to even out our skin tone and texture including aiding to reduce pigmentation or dark spots for a brighter complexion.
- Encourages Cell Renewal – exfoliation helps to increase circulation and promote new healthy tissue for younger-looking skin.
- Decongests Pores – assists in removing the buildup of excess oil and dead skin cells that may be clogging the pores and causing congestion and blemishes.
- Prepares Skin For Next Products – clogged pores can stop the nutrients from penetrating the skin, exfoliating helps to ensure the next products such as serums, oils or moisturizers absorb deep into your skin.
- Prevent Ingrown Hairs – exfoliation can help to shed dead skin cells that may be trapping hair follicles under the epidermis.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I EXFOLIATE?
Regular exfoliation is essential for your skin’s health, but with how many times to exfoliate weekly will come down to your skin’s needs. Everybody’s skin is unique and can react differently to exfoliating. Some of us create new skin cells much faster than others; some, much slower.
It’s recommended that we exfoliate no more than 2-3 times per week. Those with blemished or congested skin types can look to exfoliate towards the higher end of the scale. Those with dry skin are always best following the product recommendation. While those with sensitive skin often seek to find a middle ground.
Pay attention to how your skin reacts to determine how frequently you should be exfoliating.
CAN I EXFOLIATE TOO MUCH?
Over exfoliating can cause irritation, redness, more breakouts or lead to further skin problems. Watch how your skin responds to exfoliating to help determine what is best for your skin.
HOW TO EXFOLIATE YOUR FACE & BODY
It’s best to start with fresh, clean skin. For facial exfoliation, after cleansing while skin is still damp, apply a small amount onto the face, neck and décolletage, being careful not to exfoliate delicate areas like under the eye or eyelid.
For our 2-in-1, Turmeric Brightening & Exfoliating Mask there are two different ways you can apply this product.
- Leave on for 5-15 minutes as a mask and let the enzymes work their magic. Then gently exfoliate in circular motions with warm water.
- Apply with gentle, circular motions and wash off straight away after applying.
For added exfoliation, while removing, use a damp cloth.
“I have suffered from those little bumps on the back of my arms (Keratosis pilaris) since I was quite young and nothing has helped, but recently a well-regarded dermatologist from Sydney told me that he found the Turmeric Mask really helped with this skin condition. So, I’ve been using it on the backs of my arms and the results are amazing.” – Miranda
Our Body Exfoliator is best applied to the body while damp after cleansing. Apply in gentle circular motions, focusing on the dry patches that often feel rough or dry to touch: elbows, knees and heels.
You can also try dry body brushing as your exfoliation treatment. Use your dry body brush pre-shower or bath on dry skin to help increase circulation and eliminate toxins.
SHOULD I EXFOLIATE BEFORE USING A SELF-TANNER?
SHOULD I EXFOLIATE BEFORE SHAVING?
To get the best results out of your shaving experience (if you choose to shave) is to exfoliate beforehand. Exfoliating before shaving can help lift the hair away from the skin to help prevent ingrown hairs and assist in a closer shave. This goes for men too!
Make exfoliation an essential part of your skincare routine for a brighter, healthier and glowing complexion. Be sure to watch closely and pick the right regime to help transform your skin.