This year has provided us with many challenges and has changed some of our daily habits. One of which being the introduction of wearing masks whilst we venture out in public, catch up with family and friends and go about our once normal routines. Wearing a mask has now become a necessity, but for many, wearing a mask is wrecking havoc on their skin. Commonly, people are experiencing break outs alongside all sorts of skin issues and concerns, which is being referred to as ‘Maskne.’
A skin concern we had never heard before now, Maskne (mask acne), may occur as a result of regularly wearing a face mask. When wearing a mask, your skin isn’t able to breathe freely, and perspiration. Consequently, sweat is trapped along with oil, bacteria and makeup under the mask and on your skin. This trapping causes congestion, clogged pores, breakouts and blemishes. Often the mask also rubs against your cheeks, along with your chin and nose, resulting in skin irritations such as rashes and scratches to the skins surface.
Top Tips To Treat Maskne:
- Cleanse – Double cleanse to deeply clean your skin at night. Our Cream Cleanser is great for assisting with removing makeup, by deeply cleansing and restoring moisture to your skin in the process. It will leave your skin feeling soft, healthy and clean again.
- Exfoliate – Exfoliate away the effects of wearing a mask all day with our Turmeric Brightening & Exfoliating Mask. This Turmeric Mask will address your congested pores, sebum buildup, uneven skin texture and dullness. It will polish, resurface and refine your skin to help treat Maskne.
- Moisturize – Calm and soothe your skin with our Soothing Moisturizer. Designed to hydrate delicate or sensitive skin, this moisturizer is a great solution for Maskne. Thanks to Certified Organic Evening Primrose and Avocado Oils combined with Chamomile and Lavender Extracts, this moisturizer nourishes and relieves stressed and/or irritated skin.
- Nourish – For extra nourishment add the Noni Glow Face Oil as the last step in your daily routine. A rich source of antioxidants and essential fatty acids, this Face Oil will smooth and hydrate your skin, while acting as a protective barrier against the trapped elements. When you’re not wearing a face mask at home or overnight, we also advise taking some time to deeply hydrate your skin. Try our Noni Glow Sleeping Mask treatment, that will: renew and repair your skin whilst you sleep, calm and reduce redness, and boost and replenish your skin’s hydration levels.
- Protect – Try to use a mask made from soft, gentle and breathable fabric. It is recommended you use a three ply mask to provide adequate protection. Wash and sanitize your hands before putting on your mask, and wash your mask between uses. Dry your mask in the sun to eliminate bacteria. If you are using a disposable mask, change it every four hours and avoid contact with water and moisture.
Watch as Miranda chat through her tips to treat Maskne.
Watch Dr Jessica Wu on KTLA as she explains Maskne further and how KORA Organics can help treat it.