As we embrace the cold in the northern hemisphere, and welcome summer in the southern we’re want to share our skincare secrets to suit your mood + climate.
We asked beauty expert—Kylie Wells—to jot down her chosen ways to maximize and simplify your glow, no matter what corner of the globe you live in.
Do you need to change your skincare when the seasons change?
The answer is yes—and a few simple swaps is all it takes. Let me share why you should make simple changes to your skincare routine for a happy glow no matter the weather.
Our skin changes from summer through to winter as it reacts to the humidity and the environment around us, so it’s important to switch out our products to preserve and protect a glowing complexion. If you’re travelling, don’t forget to check what season it is in your destination and pack accordingly.
As the weather starts to warm and the humidity rises, sweat intensifies and our sebaceous glands start to increase oil production, leaving us with a shiny complexion and no dewiness in sight. The increase in oil flow can cause our skin can be prone to more breakouts thanks to the congestion of sweat, oil and pollution that can sit on the surface of your skin.
During the day, less is more, avoid wearing heavy makeup that can aid congestion and let your natural beauty shine. In summer, skin care products that are lightweight and reparative are going to be your skins’ best friend.
5 Tips For Happy Summer Skin
1. My first piece of advice with every change of season is to spring clean your skin care. If you use wash cloths or sponges regularly, wash them or replace them. Clean make up brushes and replace cotton pads. Look at the use-by-dates on your skin care to ensure your routine is fresh.
2. Switch to a foaming cleanser to counterbalance oil flow that the warmer weather brings, and to avoid clogged sweat glands from heavy sunscreens.
3. Winter may have left your skin dehydrated and dull from being indoors with artificial heat. Now is the time to remove dead and dull skin cells, allowing new cells to come to the surface. Add exfoliation and resurfacing to your routine at least 2-3 times a week for a fresh glow.
4. Coming into summer you’re likely to be more active and feel the humidity in the air. This can increase your skins’ natural oil production. It’s a good time to introduce lighter moisturizers, and to layer with sunscreen (even on cloudy days.) Make sure you double cleanse skin at the end of the day to avoid clogged pores.
5. Hydrate. Time to up your water intake. A suggested dose is 6-8 glasses of water a day. Add slices of lemon to your daily water intake and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies for glowing skin from within!
My Summer Skin Care Secrets
- Keep your mist in the fridge for a cooling refresh + in your bag to refresh makeup or top up hydration when you’re out and about, beach, gym, desk or plane. Any air-con is definitely drying out your skin.
- Use face oil to give a highlighted glow! Add a touch of concealer to it rather than using heavy foundation.
As the temperature and humidity drops outside, our skin’s moisture levels drop with it and dull, dry skin can set in. Heaters, cold wind and hot water or showers can quickly dehydrate and irritate your skin.
Your winter skin care routine should be all about deep hydration, protection and rejuvenation. Think rich and hydrating moisturizers to replenish lost moisture and protect your skin from the icy cold elements that can cause havoc to your skin’s barrier leaving you open to inflammation.
5 Tips For Happy Winter Skin
1. A great place to start is with your regular cleansing. I suggest switching to an oil-based cleanser for the season ahead. The crisp air and wind, that autumn brings makes us want to take warmer showers, yet try to wash your skin in lukewarm water, rather than hot.
2. It’s likely that the change of season could leave your skin feeling dry, with the possibility of more sensitive than normal. This can lead to redness and blotchy skin. My advice is: after washing your face be sure to gently pat dry rather than vigorously rubbing.
3. Add oils, vitamins and serum to thicken your moisturizer and stay hydrated. Reach for the Noni Bright Vitamin C Serum in the morning to help accelerate the production of both collagen and elastin, to keep the skin plump and firm during the colder months. Vitamin A like or retinol alternative options in the evening will help the reproduction of cells along with many other anti-ageing benefits.
4. Continue using SPF even on cloudy days! It’s possible UV wavelengths make it past those grey clouds and get absorbed by your skin. I say: Don’t ruin all your hard work with your skin care by forgetting this step.
5. Now is a great time to book in with your skincare specialist for a result-driven, and relaxing, facial to enhance your skins’ chances to thrive through the colder weather.
My Winter Skin Care Secrets
- Oils are your wing woman in winter thanks to their super rich ingredients! Whether its our body, face or eye oil when your skin’s dry, itchy or even looking flaky; reach for oils to instantly rehydrate when you need them most.
- Don’t forget to moisturize your body and apply straight after the shower or bath while your skin is still warm and damp to aid hydration.
Simple Seasonal Skin Care Swaps
Foaming to Oil Cleanser
Our pH friendly gel-based Turmeric Glow Foaming Cleanser is the perfect summer cleanser to rinse away impurities, while leaving the skin fresh, clean and hydrated. Luxuriously creamy, our Milky Mushroom Gentle Cleansing Oil is formulated to restore moisture and nourish your skin to leave it feeling soft, healthy and clean in the colder, drier times.
Remember to double cleanse to make sure you remove all traces of makeup, sweat, pollution and sunscreen and wash your face as soon as you can to prevent bacteria build up.
Lightweight to Rich Moisturizer
For the summer months you’re in need of a lightweight moisturizer that controls excess oil while offering optimum hydration and our Active Algae Lightweight Moisturizer does just that.
Whatever the weather, never skip on your moisturizer!
All Year Round Skincare Secrets
Exfoliation Is Key
Dead skin cells will only dull your seasonal glow. Exfoliate two to three times a week with our Turmeric Brightening & Exfoliating Mask. This two-in-one mask addresses congested pores, sebum buildup, uneven skin texture and dullness.
Plan to exfoliate when you aren’t planning to go in the sun the next day.
Lightweight and fast absorbing, our Noni Glow Face Oil will help balances the skin’s pH which makes it perfect for oily/combination skin. Its active ingredients Rosehip, Pomegranate & Noni Extract provide antioxidants and essential fatty acids to help protect your skin barrier and help to soften the effects of sun-damage. In summer you may just want to apply nightly.
The Noni Bright Vitamin C Serum is the first multi-tasker serum you need by your side every day. A lightweight formula that smells like your on a summer vacation in Italy, this serum helps hydrate and protect your skin. 12% Vitamin C from Ascorbyl Glucoside, a water-soluble derivative of Vitamin C, paired with Sodium Hyaluronate, its a potent serum that packs a punch.
The second is the Plant Stem Cell Retinol Alternative Serum which contains the power of retinol—without using retinol. With daily use you can obtain plant-powered 24/7 aging protection thanks to Bakuchiol and Alfalfa Extract, Acai Stem Cell Extract, Rosehip Oil and Noni Fruit. It targets the visible signs of aging without irritation, to restore the look of skin firmness and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In a nutshell—it’s an anti wrinkle serum but it also protects against environmental factors while it nourishes, conditions and hydrates at the same time.
Lastly, continue to apply a broad spectrum sunscreen year-round. Although you might not see the sun in winter, the UV rays causing damage are still there, and can often be more dangerous as we’re not noticing the damage it’s causing.
If it’s color you’re after, avoid the sun and reach for our Gradual Self-Tanning Lotion.
We wish you wellness and your best skin, organically.
Kylie has been in the Beauty Industry for over 21 years. Her career has taken her all over the world, on land and at sea. Still to this day beauty therapy is her passion, mixing old ancient remedies with new evolved techniques and technology. Kylie is always learning.
Kylie is known for her healing hands. She thrives on working the Meraki way, using soul, creativity, passion and love in each and every treatment leaving a part of herself to every client. Working on intuition, she works from various spaces on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and also in the comfort of your own home.