The dressing is the star of this recipe! It’s delicious on salads and I also like pouring it over cooked veggies or chicken. The recipe makes more than enough for a large salad so you can keep the extra dressing in the fridge for up to one week to use on other things.
NOTE: You can use any salad greens and veggies that you like for this salad. I especially like the combination of rocket (arugula), spinach, cooked beets, micro greens, toasted or raw seeds and goji berries.
TIP: Try using the dressing as a marinade for baking veggies, tofu or chicken, just leave out the fetta or add after baking. It’s also wonderful with cheeses; just strain a little of the onions, raisins and walnuts from the liquid and serve them in a little bowl on the cheese plate.
MAKES Approx. 2 cups
PREP TIME 15 – 20 minutes
COOKING TIME (for dressing) Approx. 25 minutes
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil (reserve ½ cup)
- 2 – 3 cups filtered or spring water
- ¼ cup honey, agave syrup or maple syrup
- ½ cup finely sliced onion
- ½ cup raisins or sultanas
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- ¾ cup crumbled fetta (optional)
- Rocket (arugula), spinach and/or salad greens
- Chopped veggies of choice (optional)
- Cooked chicken or prawns (optional)
- Goji berries and/or pomegranate seeds
- Sliced cooked beets
- Nuts and seeds
- Micro greens
- Place all the ingredients except the fetta and reserved olive oil in a medium pot (aluminium-free). Bring to a boil and cook over medium/high heat for approx. 20 minutes until the mixture is reduced by at least half. Check to see if the onions, raisins and nuts are tender; if not, continue cooking a bit longer. Be careful not to burn and add a little more water if needed during this process. You are looking for the liquid to evaporate so the dressing develops a thicker, syrupy consistency.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Add remaining olive oil and mix well, then add the fetta and gently stir to combine. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. The dressing should be sweet and tangy. If needed, add a little more balsamic vinegar for tangier flavour and for sweetness add a little more honey and mix well.
- When ready to serve the salad place rocket (arugula), spinach leaves and/or salad greens on a platter, in a large bowl or on individual plates. Add your favourite veggies and a little cooked chicken, if desired. Pour or spoon over some dressing and top with a little more fetta, nuts, seeds and micro greens.
Kate’s book, The Flavour of Joy is more than a cookbook! It includes stories to inspire, uplift and amuse, as well as over 80 delicious easy to prepare healthy recipes, tips, a few of her more memorable celebrity kitchen mishap stories and some of her clients’ favourite dishes.
Website: theflavourofjoy.com (you can order the book here)