This is a wonderful vegetarian main dish or side salad that’s great for a family dinner or easy entertaining. I often make a double version of this recipe for friends and serve it on a large platter so everyone can help themselves. The delicious minty dressing is the real star of this recipe and is also great served on other salads, veggies, fish or chicken!
NOTE You can use any salad greens and veggies that you like for this salad. I especially like the combination of rocket, roasted pumpkin and sweet potato, micro greens and pecans. Use your favourites and make the recipe your own. Try adding some toasted or raw seeds and other nuts and if you desire add a little cooked chicken, salmon or prawns.
TIP For the roast veggies you can cut them in any size pieces you like. Keep in mind the smaller you cut the veggies the quicker they will roast. I suggest peeling them all and cutting in medium size chunks. We have used large pieces and whole carrots as pictured. The dressing recipe makes more than enough for a large salad so you can keep the extra in the fridge for up to 4 days to use on other things.
SERVES 4 – 6
PREP TIME 25 minutes (5 – 10 minutes for dressing)
BAKING TIME approx. 25 – 35 minutes (for veggies)
- Coconut oil or olive oil
- Sweet potato
- Sliced haloumi (optional)
- Fresh or dried thyme (optional).
- 1 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh lime or lemon juice (to taste)
- a little water (to thin as needed)
- ¼ cup maple syrup, agave syrup or honey (to taste)
- ½ cup mint leaves (approx. 1 bunch stems removed)
- ½ tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 drops (Young Living) lime or lemon oil (optional)
- Rocket, spinach and/or salad greens
- Cooked quinoa, brown rice or freekeh (optional)
- Roasted veggies
- Haloumi (fried in a little olive oil)
- Pecans or other nuts and seeds
- Fresh mint leaves
- Micro greens
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Salad dressing
1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a baking pan by lining with baking paper (for easy clean up). To roast the veggies, peel them (or clean them very well if you prefer to keep the skin on). Then cut then in medium chunks or larger pieces and place in a large bowl. Toss them with olive oil or melted coconut oil to coast and pour into the baking pan. Roast for 25 – 35 minutes until cooked through. The roasting time will depend on the size of the pieces.
2. If using haloumi, slice it in pieces as pictured and cook it in a little oil in a pan for a few minutes on each side until golden and set aside until ready to add to the salad. Also cook your grain choice while you are roasting the veggies or use some that you have already cooked and serve warm or chilled.
3. In a blender blend all the salad dressing ingredients together and taste. The dressing should be a little sweet and tangy. If needed, add a little more lime or lemon juice for a tangier flavour and blend again. You can use the dressing immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
4. When ready to serve the salad place rocket, spinach leaves and/or salad greens on a platter, in a large bowl or on individual plates. Add a little cooked grain, if using and top with roast veggies, a few pieces of haloumi and pecans. Pour or spoon over some dressing and top with a few mint leaves and micro greens.
You may love Chef Kate’s cookbook, The Flavour of Joy. Containing stories to inspire, amuse and uplift as well as delicious, healthy recipes you’ll love. Kate uses local organic and sustainable ingredients in her tasty and nutritious recipes, also including superfoods and medicinal herbs in her dishes to create healthy and nourishing food for the body, mind, and spirit. @chefkatemcaloon | www.theflavourofjoy.com