Depriving myself of sweets, treats and life’s little indulgences wasn’t sustainable for me, so many years ago I adopted the 80/20 rule which I really enjoy!
What I love most about the 80/20 rule, is that it’s less of a diet and more about a healthy approach to eating. You eat healthy foods 80 percent of the time and indulge in your favorite treats 20 percent of the time. This means you’re less likely to become obsessed with counting calories and instead look at the nutritional profile of what you are eating, and you don’t need to deny yourself of any of your favorite treats – which can lead to binge eating.
If you’re craving something, go with it, and don’t feel guilty. When we deprive ourselves of treats we often just crave them more and rather than eating one piece of chocolate, we’ll devour the whole block.
With this approach, there should be no foods labeled as ‘bad’, and there should be no guilt associated with enjoying your favorite treats – the 80/20 rule is all about guilt-free moderation, which is a realistic long-term approach to overall wellness and happiness!
Some of my favorite indulgences are:
Triple cream goats cheese
My husband’s homemade burgers
Ice-cream & my homemade apple pie!
Here are some of my other tips for eating for wellness:
- Be present when eating & eat mindfully
- Choose fresh, organic, seasonal produce (locally sourced is best!)
- Make a rainbow on your plate with fruits & vegetables rich in color & vitality
- Chew slowly to help with digestion
- Enjoy lean organic sources of protein the size of your palm
- Opt to grill rather than fry and use coconut oil or ghee
- Embrace good quality essential fatty acids such as avocados (I eat at least one a day!)
- Create flavor with herbs and culinary oils not additives
- Eat regular, small snacks to boost your metabolism
- Try goat milk over cows milk or switch to nut milks for a dairy free option
- Avoid genetically modified food (GMO).
The 80/20 rule can extend beyond food, you can also apply it to your exercise routine. For instance, I like to commit to training on at least 80 percent of the time each week and then allow myself guilt-free relaxation on other days.
Hello I have a question regarding the rule 80/20. How does 20% indulgence look like in a nutshell? Like I could be eating junk but how do I know it’s 20% only?
Thank you very much Miranda🌹🌹🌹
This makes me feel so much better about indulging sometimes! I think a lot of people feel bad about it, myself included, but life should be about health AND happiness! Love this 💛💛💛
I love your rule! 😍