We’ve been talking all about the wonderful benefits Vitamin C can do for our skin when applied topically but when consumed for internal benefits this antioxidant can help you absorb iron from your food, prevent infections, and help wounds heal.
Clinical Nutritionist, Jessica Sepel, shares with us this delicious, warming soup that is a great starter and way to get veggies into your diet. It’s the perfect companion to our current focus on Vitamin C!
Zucchini and broccoli are a fabulous source of vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Cleansing Green Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 2 leeks, washed
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 2 vegetable stock cubes (optional)
- 1 L boiling water or 1 L vegetable stock
- Chopped parsley, to serve
- A handful of almonds, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot.
- Roughly chop the zucchinis and leeks, then place them in the pot. Add the broccoli florets and stir to combine. Season with chilli flakes, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until they’re cooked through.
- Add the vegetable stock cubes (if using) and 1 L boiling water or 1 L vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 1.5 hours.
- Once cooked, blitz the soup using a food processor or a hand-held blender. Blitz until the soup is smooth and creamy.
- To serve, spoon the soup between bowls, top with our kale chips for a little extra crunch and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and almonds.
This recipe is exclusive to the JSHealth App.
Jessica Sepel (BHlth, Adv Dip Nutritional Medicine) is a clinical nutritionist, bestselling health author and international health blogger. She is the beloved voice behind the ‘JSHealth’ brand and one of Australia’s most sought-after health and wellness advocates, encouraging a balanced lifestyle filled with delicious and nourishing wholefoods and recipes.
Jess is the author of two best-selling books, where she shares her health philosophy and favourite recipes, and the creator of the JSHealth App and the JSHealth Program: an 8-week online plan to quit diets forever and find balance with food and your body!