I usually make some version of this pesto at least once a week. It’s delicious on pasta, in soups, frittatas, as a base for salad dressings, and mixed in mayonnaise or cream cheese for a delicious sandwich spread. It’s also great mixed with vegan mayo or cashew cream. It’s an easy way to increase your intake of healthy greens!
NOTE To make this an all Raw recipe use raw honey and raw cheese. Raw cheeses are available in most health food stores. To make this a Vegan recipe you can use non dairy cheeses or omit and use a vegan friendly sweetener.
TIP You can freeze some of the pesto in ice cube trays for later use. After they are frozen place in an air tight container and they will keep for 1 month.
MAKES approx. 2 cups
PREP TIME 10 minutes
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin (you can use raw seeds too)
- 2 cups raw spinach leaves (packed)
- 1 cup parsley (packed)
- ½ cup coriander (cilantro) (packed)
- 1 cup cold pressed virgin olive oil (you may need a little more while blending)
- 1 – 2 tsp honey (to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (to taste)
- ½ tsp sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- chilli flakes (hot pepper) (optional to taste)
NOTE To toast pumpkin seeds preheat oven to 180C/350F and place the seeds on a large baking tray and roast for approx. 10 minutes until they start to brown and pop. You can also roast them in a pan on the stove top on medium high heat for approx. 5 minutes. Stir them often while roasting until they start turning golden brown and start to pop. Do not walk away from them because they cook very quickly and will burn!
1. In a food processor fitted with the “chopping” blade coarsely chop the seeds. Add half of the spinach and pulse a few times. Then add the rest of the spinach and pulse. Add the parsley and coriander (cilantro) and pulse again.
2. Add the rest of the ingredient and blend well stopping occasionally to push down the sides. If the mixture is too thick add a little more olive oil and continue mixing until smooth.
NOTE You can leave the pesto a little chunkier if you desire by blending less time.
3. Check for seasoning and add a little more sea salt, pepper and lemon juice and honey if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 4 day until needed.
Until next time…
Sending ‘The Flavour of Joy’
Chef Kate has also launched her new cookbook, The Flavour of Joy. Containing stories to inspire, amuse and uplift as well as delicious, healthy recipes you’ll love. Kate uses local, organics and sustainable ingredients in her tasty and nutritious recipes. Also including superfoods and medicinal herbs in her dishes to create healthy food nourishing for the body, mind, and spirit. You can purchase the new book from www.theflavourofjoy.com.