For sensitive skin—a skincare routine without nasty toxins, parabens, chemicals, and unnaturally scented products is essential. As is taking a holistic look at health to bring about inner calm, to cleanse, support and balance your skin, from within.
Our complexions differ from person to person, as well as varying ingredients too. Even if an ingredient is certified organic, and the highest of quality, sensitive skin may still react to its natural properties.
We always say it’s important to get to know your skin—and listen to your body, to ensure you are making empowered choices that work for you.
Our wise go-to experts have kindly shared their advice to help you find a better point of balance for your skin.
Affirmations by Miranda
Miranda likes to begin each day with an affirmation to bring about a positive mindset. We’ve chosen this affirmation of inspiration and suggest reading it out loud three times in the mirror as you perform your skin ritual, morning and night:
“I am the creator of my life. Nothing happens by chance. Every thought, every action has a reaction. I choose my and my thoughts carefully as they create my world.”
Or you can have one chosen for you here.
Breathe with Kelsey Patel
It’s when we are feeling stress or any sort of emotional intensity, that we shorten the breath. Which in turn causes stress and strain on the body. By forgetting to breathe full, deep breaths, the mind goes into, and stays in, overdrive, often focusing on stories, obsessive thoughts and mental looping.
As soon as you feel your mind and emotions are in a state of stress—take a moment out to breathe deeply. This will naturally help the mind to begin to find more calming and relaxing thoughts. Whatever it is you are feeling, you can take a moment to be with yourself and again find your centre.
Try this simple breathing exercise…
Gently close your eyes and take a number of deep belly breaths. Breathing in through the nose and breathing out through the mouth. As you breathe in, expand your stomach on your inhale, and then empty it on the exhale.
Then close your lips and breathe in and out of the nose for 3-5 minutes. Now place your hands on your heart and remind yourself with one of the above mantras. “I am safe to feel my emotions.” Repeating it three times.
Finish the exercise with gratitude for taking the time to boost your health and wellbeing.
Nutrition with Simoné Laubscher
I personally have sensitive skin and implementing good anti-inflammatory habits is essential to keep my skin calm and happy.
Here are my top 5 favorite lifestyle habits to reduce inflammation:
1. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to your diet each day. And in your skincare such as the Turmeric Glow.
2. Drink 2L of wellness water each day with added lemon, lime, ginger and fresh mint to support liver and kidney function therefore keeping inflammation at bay.
3. Increase all things green, and have 3 portions of green salads and vegetables each day to reduce acidity and inflammation.
4. Reduce toxic exposure. Switch to organic hygiene and household products. Reduce plastic in your life and if possible, turn your WIFI off each night. Getting your bare feet on the earth most days is also great to calm your nervous system down.
5. Keep alcohol and sugar as a fun treat on weekends.
Beauty by Kylie Wells
When your skins’ protective layer is depleted, your skin can become quite sensitive. Depletion to this layer can be spurred on by genetic or lifestyle choices that can cause irritation and inflammation within the skin.
Sensitive skin is increasingly common especially in women. This is due to men having a thicker epidermis—which seems to have a more resilient and natural protective barrier to allergens and irritants.
The good news is that you can restore your skins’ barrier by using layers of antioxidants, oils, and humectants to lock in moisture. Using Hyaluronic Acid morning and night helps to repair the skins’ barrier and lock in moisture at the same time.
My suggestions are to avoid hot water; always opting for lukewarm water when you wash your face. As well as keeping out of direct sunlight.
I also recommend avoiding harsh exfoliants and astringents, as too much stimulation can result in inflamed and irritated skin. Caring for your skin gently and consistently will help to repair and replenish your skins’ barrier and help to bring about more balance in your skin.
Our daily ritual suggestions for sensitive skin are:
- Milky Mushroom Gentle Cleansing Oil AM & PM
- Minty Mineral Hydration Mist AM & PM
- Active Algae Lightweight Moisturizer AM & PM.
Additional nutrient-dense layers for sensitive skin are:
- Noni Bright Vitamin C Serum for AM
- Noni Glow Face Oil for AM & PM
- Noni Glow Sleeping Mask for PM only
- Noni Glow Skinfood Supplement for AM or PM
- Rose Quartz Heart Facial Sculptor AM & PM
- Berry Bright Vitamin C Eye Cream AM & PM.
This post on how to layer KORA is a valuable read if you want to learn how to create your ideal morning and evening skin rituals.
Where to start?
If you are feeling overwhelmed by choice, you may also want to join our friendly Beauty Advisors on Live Chat to discuss your skin journey.
We hope you love our products as much as we do!
All our love and positivity,
KORA Organics xxx