Today we’re celebrating Miranda’s 40th birthday with a healthy and delicious vegan cheesecake made with love from one of our favorite ingredients: Acai Berry.
Chef Kate and Holly Kent have created this exquisite and easy-to-make recipe that looks as good as it tastes!
This frozen cheesecake is delicious and quite easy to create. You just need to allow time for each layer to set in the freezer before proceeding to the next layer. We have suggested many optional toppings to spark your creativity, so, use the ones that bring you joy!
TIP: You can substitute soaked cashews for the macadamia nuts in this recipe if you prefer.
NOTE: There are a few steps to making this dessert and you’ll need to allow for each layer to set at least 5 hours before proceeding to the next layer. This dessert can be created and frozen then decorated just before serving which makes it ideal for easy entertaining.
SERVES: 8 – 10
PREP TIME: 35 – 45 minutes
FREEZING TIME: 8 hours to overnight
Nutty Base Ingredients
- ½ cup chopped almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts (or a mixture of nuts)
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (or more sunflower seeds)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract (to taste)
- 6 medjool dated (pitted and roughly chopped).
Vanilla Filling Layer Ingredients
- 1 cup macadamias (soaked for 3 – 4 hours, rinsed and drained well)
- ½ coconut cream or vegan vanilla yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste).
Acai Berry Layer Ingredients
- 1½ cups macadamia nuts (soaked for 3 – 4 hours, rinsed and drained well)
- 2 – 3 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 200gm/7oz açai berry frozen sachet (thawed)
- ½ cup raspberries (fresh or frozen/thawed)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil.
- Meringue drops
- Chocolate shavings
- Coconut yoghurt
- Edible or decorative flowers
- Mint leaves.
Method for the Nutty Base
- In a food processor or high-power blender combine all ingredients for the base and blend until smooth.
- Rub a spring form tin/pan generously with coconut oil and press the nutty base ingredients into the base evenly forming a bottom layer of crust and set aside while you make the vanilla filling layer. You can also line the spring form tin/pan with baking paper if you like.
Method for the Vanilla Filling
- Drain the soaked macadamia nuts and rinse well and then place them in a high-speed blender with rest of the vanilla filling ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the filling on top of the nutty base and then place in the freezer for approx. 2½ – 3½ hours to set. Test the firmness by inserting a butter knife into the middle. The fill should be firm, and not runny, when set.
Method for the Acai Layer
- Once the vanilla layer is firmly set you can prepare the acai layer. Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the acai mixture on top of the vanilla layer and return to freezer for approx. 4 – 5 hours to overnight to firmly set to cheesecake.
- When you are ready to serve the cheesecake decorate the top with any of the optional decorations such as; shaved chocolate, fresh berries, flowers and/or coconut yoghurt then slices with a sharp knife that has been heated in hot water and wiped dry between each slice as this makes it easier to slice.
- You can store leftover cheesecake for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the freezer.
Chef Kate and Holly Kent