We know the joy of a sun-kissed glow yet with all things at KORA Organics, we honor our BODY and SKIN health.
Beauty Expert, Kylie Wells, has penned her thoughts on the dangers of sun exposure—and why the skin on our body needs as much love, as our face.
The good news is, you can nourish your skin and get a sun-like glow—sans the sun with our Summer Glow Set.
KORA: Why is it important to protect the skin on our bodies from the sun?
KYLIE: The skin on our body is thicker than the skin on our faces, however even at its thickest point it’s only a few millilitres thick. It has a lot of different functions and works hard making cells to act as a barrier and protect the organ from environmental factors; especially harmful sun rays.
UV rays can damage skin cells all year round, and not just the summer months. As we already know, most skin cancers are caused by exposure to the sun. Solar rays can also damage your eyes and affect your immune system as well, creating a host of health problems.
The skin has trouble repairing itself when faced with too much sun exposure. This is as the solar rays hit the deeper layers of the skin. Which then speeds up aging, and sunspots can develop in time. It is vital to cover up with SPF daily, and even more so when the UV is at its highest each day.
KORA: What happens to skin exposed to solar rays, day-in and day-out?
KYLIE: Over exposure to the sun causes two crucial proteins to breakdown: elastin and collagen. Which then spurs the onset of early aging, which can present as fine lines and wrinkles, dark spots, skin discoloration, bumps, blisters, itchy and tight skin, and even peeling.
KORA: What does the skin on our body need?
KYLIE: Our skin is our largest organ, and we need to take care of it. After all, it acts as a barrier for our internal organs, so it’s the least we can do!
My tips are:
- Avoid hot showers and baths. Lukewarm water is the way to go to prevent our natural oils being stripped.
- Exfoliate regularly for dead skin removal, and to allow new cells to come to the surface for brighter, glowing skin.
- Avoid strong soaps!
- Daily moisturising is vital for healthy skin, especially after baths and showers. Body lotions are designed to stop your natural moisture leaving your skin; keeping it hydrated, soft and smooth.
- Massaging a lotion or moisturiser into your skin also helps to stimulate blood circulation and new cell regeneration.
- Pat your skin dry rather than vigorously rubbing dry
- Layer! A great way to maximise your skins hydration is to massage a body oil into your skin to help kick start your blood flow, followed by a body lotion to lock in all your skins moisture
- Use a sunscreen daily helps to stops UV radiation from being absorbed by your skin! Never forget that you need SPF even on a cloudy day!
Three Steps for Summer Glow
To maintain a safe sun-like glow—no matter the season—we adore our simple three-step Summer Glow ritual to polish and tan for serious glow.
Smooth + Uplift
Start by polishing away dead skin cells with our nourishing body scrub to reveal brighter, softer, more refined skin all over.
Hydrate + Glow
After exfoliating, apply our buildable, self-tanning moisturizer that softens, replenishes and delivers a natural sun-kissed glow, sans the sun.
Nourish + Hydrate
Finally, lock in your fresh new glow with our lightweight and ultra-nourishing treatment for softer, healthier, more radiant-looking skin.
Stay sun-safe and sun-kissed every day!
We wish you wellness and your best skin, organically.