This is the perfect little shot of energy to get you ready to conquer your busy day! The fresh ginger gives it a little kick and the turmeric adds a wonderful nutritional boost. Try it in place of your morning coffee, or have it a few minutes before. Who knows, you may discover you don’t need the coffee after all!
TIP If you do not have fresh turmeric and ginger you can use ½ – 1 tsp of powdered turmeric and ginger in its place, however fresh is best. You can use sparkling water, sparkling apple juice or other sparkling juices in the refreshing tonic. You could even use kombucha, if you prefer. Double or triple the recipe as needed to serve more people or you can just make extra and keep in the fridge for 3 – 4 day and add sparkling water when you are ready to serve. If using culinary essential oil in the mixture store in a glass container.
NOTE A high-speed blender works best for this recipe, however any blender will work. Strain the turmeric mixture after blending and before adding the sparkling water. If you prefer you can skip the straining, however there will be a little texture to your drink.
MAKES 1 portion
PREP TIME 5 minutes
- ½ lemon (peeled, remove seeds and cut in 2 – 3 pieces)
- 2.5cm (1 inch) fresh turmeric, finely chopped (to taste)
- 2.5cm (1 inch) fresh ginger, finely chopped (to taste)
- A little freshly ground black pepper (optional, to taste)
- ¼ cup coconut water or water (for blending)
- 2 tsp honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice (to taste)
- 1–2 drops culinary lemon and/or ginger oil (optional, to taste)
- 1½ (approx.) cups sparkling water or sparkling apple juice and ice (for serving)
1. Place the lemon, turmeric, ginger and black pepper in the blender with a little water or coconut water (approx. ¼ – ½ cup) and blend on high until well combined. Then strain out any remaining little pieces of turmeric and ginger.
2. Pour the mixture into a tall glass, add the honey and a couple of drops of lemon oil, if using and stir. Then add a few ice cubes into the glass, if desired and pour in the sparkling water or sparkling apple juice and gently stir to combine and serve immediately. You can also chill the lemon turmeric mixture and serve later. Just adding add ice and sparkling water before serving.
You may love Chef Kate’s cookbook, The Flavour of Joy. Containing stories to inspire, amuse and uplift as well as delicious, healthy recipes you’ll love.
Kate uses local organic and sustainable ingredients in her tasty and nutritious recipes, also including superfoods and medicinal herbs in her dishes to create healthy and nourishing food for the body, mind, and spirit.