I am often asked what habits I live by to stay well and allow me to thrive, and I wanted to share them with you to live your best life. It takes 3-4 weeks to establish significant changes in habits that will impact your health and wellness for the long term.
Habits are the hinges of your destiny, and when you learn to reset your habits, you transform your life. Habits are the small decisions you make and actions you perform every day to create a subconscious ritual that can move you closer or further away from your goal. According to researchers at Duke University, habits account for about 40% of our behaviours on an average day.
You can implement new habits into your life to support your wellness journey so that you can have long-lasting results. Embrace this journey to reconnect with yourself, your loved ones, and to nature. Prioritize what is important to you, so you can implement a lifestyle to nourish your mind, body, and soul.
It has often been said that your life today is the sum of all your habits combined, to this point in time. What you do day in, and day out (often subconsciously) creates the person you are, the things you think about, believe in, meditate on and embrace, which form your personality that you convey to the world.
3 Steps to Implement Long-Lasting Change
1. Reminder: Set an alarm on your phone or write a post-it note so that you remember to make your new good habit. Be kind to yourself, for it takes 3-4 weeks to make or break a habit.
2. Routine: Create a new pattern of good habits, implement them first, and then phase out the old unhealthy habits to support this natural shift.
3. Reward: Get to know your ‘why’ and tap into the benefits you’ll enjoy by embracing this new habit and feeling this into your nervous system. You must feel the reward, not just think it, to embrace neuroscience techniques and train your mind and body into this new habit loop.
Knowing your why will also make it so much easier when you lose motivation, so you can encourage yourself to keep going!
Fuel and Focus for a Change
The body does a great job at healing itself of almost anything when the fuel (diet) and function are supported. Kind of like a car, you need to service the engine and use good clean energy to get optimum performance. The body follows where the mind goes, and if we resist something, it often persists, for our attention is on the negative instead of the positive.
Here are my tips to focus on over the next four weeks to boost your wellness in 30 days.
Week 1: Focus on Nutrition & Sleep
- Drink 2L of filtered water each day.
- Embrace intermittent fasting by pushing breakfast back to lunch.
- Drink a green juice each morning.
- Try a pesca-vegan lifestyle. Eating a fish, vegetable, dairy free and plant-based diet.
- Calm Your Nervous System by connecting to nature.
- Boost your oral hygiene rituals to boost your overall health.
- Get into bed 1 hour earlier; read to wind down naturally.
Week 2: Focus on Mindfulness
- Start your day by taking five deep breaths before you do anything.
- Sit in gratitude and feel into five things you are grateful for.
- Imagine bliss and manifest a life you love.
- Breathe deeply by counting to 20 when you feel triggered.
- Choose mood food. Your mood is greatly affected by food, so choose wisely.
- Make a date with yourself and do something you love.
- Pause for perspective. When stress arises count to 20 before acting or reacting.
- Detox your wardrobe and give back!
Week 3: Focus on Movement and Body Balance
- Choose a form of movement and exercise you enjoy!
- Create a spa at home. Light candles, run a bath, add essential oils and epsom salts.
- Embrace laughter, which will oxygenate your body and bring healing at a cellular level.
- Look up self-care techniques such as hand and foot reflexology.
- Book a massage for yourself.
- Jump online and find a Pilates, dance, or yoga class and make it fun.
- Teach your body to sweat and breathe properly.
Week 4: Focus on Supplementation & Environment
- Add ‘Vegan Mondays’ to your life
- Swap your hygiene and household products for organic. For skincare, I love KORA Organics!
- Consider a seasonal cleanse.
- Invest in a water filter and filter your water daily.
- Make sure you’re eating enough good fats.
- Turn off all WiFi at night, where possible, to give your nervous system a break.
- Support your immune system as your body’s number one defence system.
You now have a road map to put your wellness into balance. If you’re not sure where to start, try our free Wellness Quiz to give you a personal wellness profile and help you decipher where to begin your journey.
Simone Laubscher has a BSc MSc PhD in Science and nutrition and has treated patients for over 20 years.
After struggling with health issues relating to obesity (metabolic, thyroid, adrenal, blood sugar and eating disorders), Simoné treated herself successfully 22 years ago, following her graduation from university with her B.Sc.-Nutrition, from the UNSW, Sydney, Australia.
Simoné then went on to do an M.Sc in Naturopathy and Nutrition and a PhD in human nutrition. She is very passionate about setting both adults and children free of disease and debilitating conditions. Simoné specialises in obesity, long-term weight loss, metabolic reset, eating disorders, diabetes, IBS / gut disorders, depression, stress/adrenal fatigue, hormonal regulation and immune-related illnesses such as cancer.
Due to her own health issues and observations with her clients Simoné became increasingly frustrated with the vitamin industry using synthetic ingredients, so as a result 15 years ago started to formulate her own whole food organic supplement line called Rejuv Wellness. Simoné also went on to formulate the whole food supplement line for Welleco, born out of her client Elle Macpherson’s own personal journey for optimum wellness.